Thursday 18 August 2011

8 years...but who's counting...

One benefit of this blog that I have discovered, is that it is inspiring me to complete a raft of unfinished projects.

I'm somewhat delighted, but also embarrassed to post about this finally finished quilt....that I started making in 2003...

As a preface, I learnt to quilt about 15 years ago when I started going to an evening sewing class with my mother. Jumping in at the deep end I decided to make a queen-bed size hand-pieced and hand-quilted bed quilt. In a rush of enthusiasm said project probably took me about 9 months from memory...after which I vowed never to make a hand-pieced and quilted number again.

Fast-forward a few years, and I discover a beautiful wattle-printed fabric in a little store in the Blue Mountains in Australia, and the inspiration of this project was born. Had I known then that it would take me a further 8 years to complete, I think I would have turned around and walked out of the store.

So, it has come on in fits and bursts over the past 8 years, and equally spent many, many months sitting untouched and unloved. But, after becoming sick of it taking up valuable space draped over the quilting hoop in my tiny flat, I decided one last effort was in order.

And voila, the finished product...

No comments:

Post a Comment