Thursday 19 July 2012

A customised doormat...

A few weeks ago I posted about some small projects I was planning around my home to make it feel a little more 'homely', and less of a temporary abode...


Full of enthusiasm, I headed to my local DIY store and stocked up on some necessary items for the planned projects...
...and then my enthusiasm waned for a few weeks. I was being productive - just not in relation to these projects (I have a knitting project to share once I sew on some buttons).


But, I recently found some motivation and completed the first item on the list - a customised door mat.


I toyed with ideas of how to make my plain door mat a little more bespoke. I considered various stencil designs, but in the end settled for a simple double border.


First step was to mark off the areas to be protected from the paint - I used clear adhesive plastic (the type you cover books with) as the painters tape I have is low-tack, and therefore wouldn't adhere to the mat.

Then it was time to brave spray-painting (remembering that this is an indoor activity for me - full of potential for disasters). On a side note, I discovered an interesting difference with procuring cans of spray paint between the UK and Australia. When I was in Sydney in January I was looking for spray paint in the local hardware store for a project I was planning for my mother - and found the cans secured under lock and key...I assume they must have a significant issue with either theft or wish to control access in relation to graffiti artists. No such issue with my local hardware store here in the UK - I was able to stroll in a grab a can from the shelf...

At this point I was a little worried. The sticky adhesive curled up once I'd spray-painted and I was assuming that the paint had worked its way under the marked borders.

Fortunately, when I removed the plastic my fears were unfounded...

And here it is, ready for action in front of my door (excuse the odd lighting...there is horrible fluorescent light in our foyer and no natural light)...


So, now the entrance to my flat looks a little more welcoming, I'm feeling motivated to get working on my other projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment