Sunday 16 December 2012

A Handmade Christmas (part two)...


I'm spending Christmas Day with friends who have two little girls (3 years and 18 months old) - so I spent some time this weekend making little Christmas gifts for them both...I've discovered that clothing is a much safer option, as I am never sure what they already have toy wise...

I'm sure I've posted about this technique before, but here is a quick re-cap.


I printed out their initials using a large, simple font - something without too much detail is ideal.


I then traced their initials onto vlisofix/bondaweb (double-sided fusible interfacing) - making sure to mirror-reverse their initials during the tracing stage.


Iron the vlisofix onto the wrong side if your fabric...


...and then cut around each letter.


Remove the paper backing, position them on the shirt where you wish, and then iron to secure.


Using a toning embroidery thread, use a blanket stitch and work around each of the letters.


And the finished product, ready to wrap and place under the tree.

I managed to retain my industrious-ness and finally spent some time this afternoon making a new bed valance and pillow covers to go with the the new bed quilt that I purchased back in January (shameful I know!)...but at least I managed to complete them within the calendar year (just). Now I just need to decide on what I'd like to do for bedside lamps and the bedroom mini-makeover will be complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment