Sunday 16 June 2013

Trooping the colour and other weekend pursuits...





In what is becoming an annual June event for us, my friend K and I met on the Mall on Saturday morning to watch the guards and royal family process down to Horse Guards Parade for Trooping the Colour (the celebration for the official birthday of the sovereign). We were joined this year by K's mother who is currently visiting from Australia.

The guards from the various Household divisions were first to pass, followed by the Household Cavalry. Of course, it is also a wonderful opportunity to see the Royal Family make their way past in carriages.
 The Duchess of Cornwall, Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry

Her Majesty, The Queen accompanied by the Duke of Kent

She received such a warm reception as she passed which was lovely to witness. It was also lovely to watch the news coverage later in the day and see her smiling so beatifically throughout - it is obviously an event she enjoys immensely.

The Serpentine, Hyde Park

After the procession we meandered up to Hyde Park for lunch at the Serpentine Bar and Kitchen. We arrived just as they began serving lunch and found a table easily...just as well, as seating was at a premium by the time we left.

Today I spent in a quite different range of pursuits...

Baking this morning


Followed by a little excursion to one of the little village suburbs of south-west London where I am looking to buy a flat - for a bit of a reconnaissance, a browse in the bookshop and a coffee in a very sweet newly-opened cafe.


Finally, for supper this evening I decided to try this new recipe, as first seen on Alicia's blog...highly recommended!

1 comment:

  1. Loved your photos of Trooping the Color. I wish I had remembered that it was going on. I heard about it and thought I should go to that being I am in London (still pinching myself) and then I completely forgot. I will hopefully remember next year. You had beautiful weather that day ~ your pics are so nice and bright!

    ReplyDelete