Monday 26 May 2014

RSN Silk-shading project finally completed...


It is now over a month since I attended my introduction to silk-shading course at the Royal School of Needlework at Hampton Court Palace. I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit it has taken me this long to finish the project, but it is now complete.

I'm feeling a little ambivalent about silk-shading as a technique. I was pleased to learn a new technique, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to embroidery, and I found this technique one of the hardest to master. I think my colour shading is 'clunky' - but perhaps that is one of those things that improves with practice.

It was certainly the first type of embroidery I'd tried where you have two and sometimes three different colours in needles and work them simultaneously. Additionally, the majority of this is worked with single strands of embroidery thread, so understandably it can take quite a long time to complete a section.

Nevertheless, I'm pleased I tried it, and I think my shading in other types of embroidery will now be more proficient as a result.

I still can't recommend the RSN short courses highly enough. I'm already looking forward to my next course in April.

And in other embroidery news...

...some simple bullion roses on a baby-grow to welcome a new daughter of a work colleague...

No comments:

Post a Comment