Monday 18 May 2015

A gardener's shed...

June 2014

This is my first home with a garden, and hence my first need of a garden shed. Luckily, the property came with a shed at the end of the garden when I bought it...unfortunately, it was a fairly unattractive shade of bright blue...

Last summer when I did most of the major changes to the back garden, I also painted the outside of the shed, so it had less of an obvious presence at the end of the garden...
September 2014

While the outside had improved, the inside was not somewhere I wanted to spend any time. It was dark, dusty and fully of seemingly hundreds of spider webs. I used to go in and out as quickly as possible to retrieve what I needed.

At the beginning of spring, I decided that the time had come to pull everything out and make it a more functional place for storage (and somewhere I was happy to venture). I forgot to take a photo of it in its cluttered and spider-infested glory, but here is how it looked after I pulled everything out, swept it from top to bottom for dust, dirt and spider webs and liberally applied insect spray...



It actually looks a lot brighter in these pictures than it ever felt in actuality. I decided to whitewash the ceiling and walls, add a potting bench, some shelving and a tool rack. It is still just a serviceable garden shed but it is at least now easy to put my hand on what I need (and no longer scary to enter!)...




Just in time for the garden-oriented activities of spring and summer to begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment